Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) will Introduce Legislation on Thursday to Fully Legalize Marijuana
Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) will introduce "bi-partisan legislation tomorrow ending the federal war on marijuana and letting states legalize, regulate, tax, and control marijuana without federal interference," according to a press release from the Marijuana Policy Project.Topic Overview
- "The legislation would limit the federal government's role in marijuana enforcement to cross-border or inter-state smuggling, allowing people to legally grow, use or sell marijuana in states where it is legal," according to the MPP statement. (More...)
- President Obama has reduced the number of federal raids on marijuana growers and users with state licenses--but the disconnect between federal and state laws continues to cause tension. (More...)
- In a preview of the legislation, the Marijuana Policy Project noted that last week marked the 40th Anniversary of when President Nixon declared that the federal government was at war with marijuana and other drugs. (More...)
- Under the legislation, the federal government's role will be limited to regulations dealing with cross-border and inter-state smuggling of marijuana. (More...)
- States that already legalize medical marijuana could continue without expensive legal battles with the federal government. (More...)
- Well, at least we're heading in the right direction now, as two prominent congressmen plan to introduce the first-ever bill ending the federal war on marijuana. (More...)
- Fifteen states now have medical marijuana laws, making it legal for health care professionals to prescribe marijuana for treatment. (More...)
- Are Republicans serious when they say that the federal government should cede power to the states? Where do liberal Democrats really stand on drug prohibition? Congress must now confront those questions, thanks to Reps. (More...)
- " Nearly one hundred members of Congress expressed their support for a seriously ill patient's right to medical marijuana during a historic vote on the House floor Tuesday. (More...)
- Sounds like the bill is attempting to do what the Constitution theoretically already did: limit the federal role to the regulation of interstate commerce. (More...)
- I've been working for over 35 years on marijuana reform and have seen a lot of similar moments where we were on the verge of the end of prohibition. (More...)
- Current legislation proposed in WA state by former U.S. Atty Jim McKay has a very good chance of getting on the ballot or at least a shot in the legislature. (More...)
Other co-sponsors include Rep. John Conyers (D-MI), Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN), Rep. Jared Polis (D-CO), and Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA).
News & Information
A very well built documentary about cannabis and drug prohibition. Does the drug prohibition work? Have a look and think for yourself.
The term medical marijuana took on dramatic new meaning in February, 2000 when researchers in Madrid announced they had destroyed incurable brain tumors in rats by injecting them with THC, the active ingredient in cannabis.
Medical Marijuana Research - PTSD to Cancer
- Confirmed: DEA Head Michele Leonhart Stepping Down
- CBS News Poll: Majority Of Americans Back Legalizing Marijuana
- Study: Oral Cannabis Extracts Associated With Seizure Control In Children With Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy
- It’s 420 Again! Let’s Proudly Celebrate!
- NORML’s Annual 420 Promo: 2015
- Federal Judge Upholds Schedule I Classification Of Cannabis
- 2015 Pew Poll: “Support for Legalization Is Rapidly Outpacing Opposition”
- Responsible Marijuana Smoking: Moderation in All Things
- Coming Out Green Ad Campaign
- Barney Frank: “We should press our advantage.”
- Marijuana Reform Comes to the Mountain State
- Obama Says Individual Marijuana Consumers in Colorado and Washington Are Not Priorities
- Study Shows Marijuana Often Substituted for Alcohol and Other Drugs
- Judge upholds Arizona’s law; first dispensary begins serving patients!
- Washington Marijuana Law Takes Effect Tomorrow
- New Poll: Record High Support for Marijuana in U.S.
- The 10 Things That Led to Legalized Marijuana in Colorado
- Irv Rosenfeld’s 30th Anniversary of Getting Marijuana from the Feds
- Rasmussen Poll Shows Huge Majority Thinks U.S. Losing the Drug War
Endocannabinoids: Windows to the Brain
Cannabis sativa (hemp) is a flowering annual that has been in use as a structural material (cordage, cloth, paper) and in medicine for thousands of years.5–7 Reference to the psychoactive effects of its phytochemical products have been found in writing throughout the ancient world.
Laguna Woods Seniors Step Towards Embracing Medical Marijuana And Wants To Open A Medical Cannabis Collective
Aug 14, 2010 Debra Baer